You need the influencing skills to convince people you do not have power to instruct or directly negotiate with, through tactical engagement and interactions. There is no catch-all solution to influencing others. It is more of an art than science. It requires experience and practice, and should be adaptable to different situations. Key steps to successful influence include:
- Define and establish common goals and interests.
- Discuss or debate with the stakeholders to establish understanding of the goals and interests, and key issues that will address the identified interests.
- Understand other parties’ concerns or point of views.
- Work towards a common and agreeable understanding to achieve the desired outcome.
- Document and clarify agreements; follow-up and be prepared to repeat the above steps to ensure clarity and demonstrate the value of cooperation to the target audience.